MuscleSport Mag

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Strikeforce MMA in New Jersey - The Differences

What the hell. Everyone has a blog nowadays so I figured I'd attach one to MuscleSport Mag. Sitting up her in the Press Box at the IZOD Center in New Jersey watching the preliminary fights at the Strikeforce World Grand Prix Heavyweight Tournament so I guess now is as good a time as any to start blogging.

I picked up on a few things while waiting in line tp pick up my press credential. Let me back up for a second. The instructions were to pick up the passes at the box office. Sounded simple enough, considering that for game-to-game passes for football (which is played right next door at the New Meadowlands), we have to pick up our shot at the Will Call window.

A mob awaited at the box office outside in the dead of winter for the doors to open. I worked my way through the crowd to a few whispers along the lines of, "Where do you think you're going, motherfucker?" I made it inside and then took a spot at the back of another line for the press.

Here is where my observations began. The media people for MMA differ greatly from many of the other events I cover regularly. The bodybuilding media is a totally different animal, so I'm talking more about the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA.

I'm sure that there were some legitimate folks waiting like I was, but it looked more like a fanfest or someone being hooked up by family, etc. for a chance to get a free ticket to 'the fights.' I'm not going tp win the fanciest dresser award even at the Super Bowl, but I try to make some kind of impression and give off an air of professionalism when I cover an event.

A nice pair of pants (or you can even get away with new jeans), a collared shirt and shoes are not too much to ask for, or at least I thought. MMA-related t-shirts, sweatshirts, faded jeans and sneakers were definitely on the menu with my 'colleagues.'

I highly doubt that there was anything more than a .com associated with the majority of these men and women sporting the relaxed look, and I actually have no problem with that. Things are definitely starting to go that way, but just as I started this blog in five minutes, one of these guys could have done the same and take a Press Box seat from someone who is actually doing this as a career, not a  hobby.

I'm out there doing my thing online, too, but the e-magazine, radio show and video clips do carry some clout. Plus I'm getting my shot together for the print magazine later this year, too. The website portion of my company is basically a clubhouse for all the other bigger stuff.

If you're gonna play the part, look the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment